Affordable Housing Workgroup
Affordable Housing Workgroup recommendations to the Florida Housing Board of Directors available here
To view videos of previous Workgroup meetings scroll down to
"Meeting Dates and Materials" under each meeting section.
During its regular 2017 session, the Florida Legislature created a short term Affordable Housing Workgroup (Chapter 2017-71, Section 46 [pages 28-29], Laws of Florida).
The workgroup is required to develop recommendations to address the state’s affordable housing needs.
Florida Housing Board of Directors to Hold Workshop to Review Workgroup Recommendations
The Affordable Housing Workgroup is required to present its recommendations to the Florida Housing Finance Corporation Board of Directors for approval.
- December 7, 2017, 3-5 p.m.
- Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, 225 E Coastline Drive, Jacksonville
- Board to vote on Recommendations at its Regular Board Meeting, December 8, same location, starting at 8:30 a.m.
Workgroup recommendations must include, but are not limited to:
- A review of market rate developments;
- A review of affordable housing developments;
- A review of land use for affordable housing developments;
- A review of building codes for affordable housing developments;
- A review of the state’s implementation of the low income housing tax credit;
- A review of private and public sector development and construction industries;
- A review of the rental market for assisted rental housing; and
- The development of strategies and pathways for low income housing.
Membership of the workgroup:
- Click here for a full list of members in the workgroup.
- The executive director of the Florida Housing Finance Corporation (to serve as chair);
- The executive director of the Department of Economic Opportunity or her designee;
- Five members appointed by the Governor, including an advocate for the homeless, an advocate of the needs of individuals with disabling conditions and persons with special needs as defined in s. 420.0004, F.S., a representative of the building/development community, and a realtor licensed in Florida;
- Two members appointed by the President of the Senate;
- Two members appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives;
- The executive director of the Florida Association of Counties or her designee;
- The executive director of the Florida League of Cities or his designee; and
- The chair of the Florida Building Commission or his designee, (ex officio, nonvoting advisory member).
Administration of the workgroup:
- The workgroup must convene no later than September 1, 2017;
- The workgroup recommendations must be presented to and approved by the board of directors of Florida Housing Finance Corporation;
- The workgroup must submit a report with its recommendations to the Governor, the President of the Senate, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives by January 1, 2018;
- After the report is submitted, the workgroup will terminate; and
- Florida Housing Finance Corporation will provide administrative and staff support to the workgroup.
August 30, 2017 - Tallahassee, FL | Florida Senate Office Building, Room 110 | 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
September 27, 2017 – Orlando FL | Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport | Gatwick/Orly/Shannon Meeting Rooms | 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
October 30, 2017 | Miami Airport Marriott - Salons D & E| 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
November 29, 2017 – Tallahassee, FL | Florida Capitol Knott Building, Room 412