Mortgage Credit Certificates (FAQs)

Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) Programs can help first time homebuyers save money each year they live in their newly purchased home. With the MCC Program, homeowners may claim between 10% to 50% of their mortgage interest as a federal TAX CREDIT on their IRS tax return. The credit is capped at $2,000 annually for any credit amount that exceeds 20% and, any remaining mortgage interest not included as part of the TAX CREDIT is still eligible for the home mortgage interest deduction on their federal tax return.

Each year, a homeowner may claim a dollar-for-dollar reduction of income taxes owed thereby reducing the amount of federal taxes paid.

Florida Housing no longer offers a Mortgage Credit Certificate Program. However, some local housing finance agencies may still offer MCC programs within the State of Florida.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for those who have previously been issued a Mortgage Credit Certificate:

Q. If I want to refinance, what happens to my existing MCC Certificate?
A. You will need to have a new MCC certificate issued. For Florida Housing issued MCCs, please contact Hilltop Securities at: You are permitted one re-issue of your Florida Housing MCC as long as you occupy the property as your primary residence.

Q. I lost my MCC Certificate issued by Florida Housing. How can I get a copy of this certificate?
A. To request a copy of an MCC certificate issued by Florida Housing, please email:;  Please note that Florida Housing hasn’t issued MCC’s since 12/31/2020.  If you purchased your home after 12/31/2020 then your MCC would have been issued by a City/County program.  The issuers documentation would be in your closing package.  Florida Housing doesn’t have access to the City/County MCC’s.  Please contact the City/County Housing program that your property is located in.

Q. Do I need a new MCC certificate each year that I file my taxes?
A. No, you will use the original MCC certificate as long as you pay mortgage interest on your original first mortgage and occupy the home as your primary residence.

Q. What if I want to sell my home within the first nine years of purchase? How do I determine if I am subject to recapture tax?
A. You can refer to your original MCC certificate for the recapture information that applies to your MCC and first mortgage loan. If you do not have your original MCC, see above for email links to request your copy. Recapture Tax is only owed if you 1) sell the home in the first 9 years, 2) make a profit from the sale, 3) your income increases more than what is allowed in the year that you sell the home. Most borrowers will not exceed the maximum limits disclosed on your Recapture Notice as those limits increase 5% in each of the 9 year holding period. All three of these “triggers” would have to be met before you would be subject to this tax.